When used with worm gears, Boston Gear worms provide an effective answer for power transmission applications requiring high ratio speed reduction in a limited space using right angle (90°), non-intersecting shafts. Manufactured from acetal, nylon, and hardened and unhardened steel, they offer the smoothest, quietest form of gearing when properly applied.
Because the efficiency of a worm gear drive depends on the lead angle and number of starts on the worm, it's important to keep the ratio as low as possible. It is equally important that worms and worm gears used together must have the same diametral pitch and threads.
- Boston Gear's 90°, non-intersecting shaft applications answer highly specialized power transmission needs.
- Our worms offer the smoothest, quietest form of gearing
- They provide effective high-ratio speed reduction in minimal space.
- Their efficiency is easily increased by using lower ratios.
- With some ratios, there is resistance to back-driving.
- Available from 48 DP to 3 DP
- Stocked as single, double and quad start configurations